Detox tea using easily available ingredients is essential to drink especially to boost immunity during this flu/COVID-19 season. Ingredients such as ginger, peppermint, and lime would not only boost immunity but also protect from a host of viral infections, soothe a scratchy throat, elevate headaches, and clear out any form of congestion.
Well, need more reasons to sip on homemade detox tea? It is surprisingly delicious!
Detox Tea Benefits
Interestingly, herbal teas are not made from the tea plants but instead of various herbs, flowers, and roots of various plants. They have been known for thousands of years, especially for its wondrous medicinal properties. Although there are hundreds of combinations for homemade detox tea ingredients, the biggest benefit is that they are caffeine-free.
Here are some benefits for homemade detox tea:
- Fights Cold
- Improves Digestion
- Boosts Immunity
- Reduces Inflammation
- Relieves Stress
- Lower Blood Pressure
- Helps to Reduce Anxiety
- Great for Skin
Detox Tea Ingredients
Ginger is considered amongst the healthiest and one of the most used detox tea ingredients in the world. The reason is that it is loaded with tons of nutrients that has amazing benefits for your body such as cleansing and weight loss.
Benefits of ginger:
- It contains gingerol which has medicinal properties.
- It can treat different forms of nausea and morning sickness.
- Ginger may help reduce muscle pain and cramps.
- It may help reduce menstrual pain.
- The components in ginger may help fight infections.
Peppermint (Mentha × Piperita) is a popular fragrant herb found in the mint family which is a hybrid of watermint and spearmint. Peppermint is used as a flavoring agent in breath mints and candies. Many people also consume peppermint as one of the homemade detox tea ingredients.
Benefits of peppermint:
- It helps ease digestive problems.
- Peppermint helps with easing headaches and migraines.
- Freshens your breath.
- Helps fight bacterial infections.
- May aid in weight loss.
Limes are basically a superfood because they are loaded with various nutrients especially vitamin C and other antioxidants. They help to boost immunity, reduce cardiac problems, prevents kidney stones, helps the body to absorb iron and leaves with glowing skin.
Benefits of lime:
- Increases the production of white blood cells which helps to boost immunity.
- Limes are full of powerful compounds that serve as antioxidants in the body, including flavonoids, limonoids, kaempferol, quercetin, and ascorbic acid.
- Promotes the formation of collagen that helps in keeping the skin firm and healthy.
- Help reduce heart diseases.
- May lower the risk of certain cancers.
Honey has dual properties: it is used as both medicine and food since ancient times. That is because it is storehouse for nutrients and offers various health benefits. Many people use it as a sugar substitute to make gain more nutritional benefits than refined sugar which is nothing but empty calories!
P.S. here is why you must quit sugar and opt for substitutes instead: The Sugar Meltdown: Each Kind Explained & Why Should You Quit
Benefits of honey:
- Rich in antioxidants.
- It can help lower blood pressure.
- It can also help lower triglycerides that increase the risk of heart diseases.
- Honey helps to heal wounds and burns.
- It is beneficial during coughs and colds.
Instructions to Make Detox Tea
The steps are super simple. All you have to do is simmer the concoction for a good 10 minutes until you can enjoy the benefits of the herbal tea.
- Wash, peel, and crush some ginger and mint leaves in a mortar using a pestle.
- Keep some water on a stove to boil. I have previously written about the correct way to heat the water. You can read it here and make sure to follow the instructions for maximum benefits.
- Put your ginger and mint leaves inside the boiling water and let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure to cover the lid of the vessel so that the necessary nutrients do not evaporate. (Also, at this point, your kitchen will smell like the coziest place ever!)
- You can add some black tea leaves but it is optional.
- After you remove the vessel from the flame, strain the tea into a glass or mug.
- Add some lime juice and honey (optional) to it.
That’s all! Make it for yourself and your loved ones and simply enjoy while watching a sunrise or sunset together (the best time for having any herbal tea, according to me!) The benefits will automatically follow.
Also, watch the video to know why and how is this homemade herbal tea an immunity booster during the coronavirus pandemic.
Found it helpful? Rate it here:
For any queries, follow me on Instagram.